'tis almost the most wonderful time of the year!
The ber-month has already started. Canadians just don't get it, but I told them that back home we play Christmas songs every 1st of September -- kind of tradition that signals Christmas is almost at our doorsteps. They don't understand how important the season is to us, Filipinos. But heck, I didn't care, I played Christmas in Our Hearts on that day....
I've had more than 30 Christmasses.. Some memorable, some sad, most I couldn't remember how it passed by me, and more recently, it has become more meaningful (it becomes one when you realize what the Christ's birth really meant), and happy. One thing that didn't change though is the money that you have to dig deep from you pocket because it has become so commercialized it meant gifts and money for most people. Parents instill in their children's young minds that they must receive a gift for Christmas. I wouldn't care if they give it themselves, but knowing how "kapal" (thick faced) some people could be, they'd actually ask you to give their children a gift -- it has become an obligation. I've been controlling myself on that matter, I used to give extravagant gifts or sometimes even money. Last Christmas, I only gave away clothes and/or toys I bought "on sale" prices. No more expensive gifts except for those I truly cared about like my mom, my siblings' children, and maybe James (hehehe). What excites me about Christmas is my birthday falls 2 days before Jesus' birthday. When I was younger I would be the only one who'll get a gift (if fortunate) because it is also my birthday. When I got older, I realized what the real meaning of the season is so I stopped asking for gifts, stopped wearing new clothes, stopped wishing for money, and started talking thanking Jesus because it's really His birthday. I am glad I realized it early, for if I hadn't, I would have wallowed in self-pity everytime because we were not born rich and my mom couldn't afford to give us expensive gifts nor money. Back then, I would cringe everytime I hear children cry if their parents don't give them what they wanted, or when people feels so sad because they don't have expensive food for Christmas Eve dinner, or when instead of reflecting what it truly means, they would rather go to the carnival or watch a movie (MIFF, remember?) to celebrate the day. I truly hope that people would change their point of view and acknowledge that Christmas is Jesus' birthday. I even had a friend who would cry and think she is the unluckiest girl in the face of the earth if she didn't have a boyfriend on Christmas and New Year. How pathetic!
Growing in a "densely-populated" apartment with my siblings, my cousins, and even nephews and nieces, I would always anticipate for Christmas because they would be away on that day doing their own version of celebration and I would be left behind the house alone. I would always look forward to a day of silence, peace, and solitude. And I only had it on Christmas and New Year's day. I'd clean our room in the morning then watch TV and sleep in the afternoon. Then they would all come back....
And Jesus and I have the same birth sign (Capricorn).... oooppss!! joke only!!!!!

<< Home